by Maryssa Kamimoto, Dietetic Intern, CSU Fresno
I recently received the greatest gift a girl could ask for….. an Instant Pot! Let me tell you, for someone who is not a fan of cooking or really being in the kitchen this Instant Pot has changed my life. Pressure cooking has become my new favorite thing.
If you are one who hates cooking, or like me, doesn’t want to take the time to cook, or simply don’t have the time to spend cooking after a long day of school/work, then an Instant Pot is for you! You can literally make ANYTHING in it. From yogurt, to hardboiled eggs, soups, and even ribs! The Instant Pot is easy to use, and most meals can be done in 45 minutes or less. Don’t worry if you have no idea how to use it or how to make meals with it, there is a cook book and user guide that comes along with it. Plus, Pinterest has really great recipes as well! I am so in love with this tool, because I can throw everything in the pot, place it on the setting I want to cook it at, and finish up some chores, homework, or a tv show.
Below are some of my favorite recipes I have used in my Instant Pot so far. Feel free to give them a try!
Perfect for when you’re in the mood for some good BBQ but the weather is telling you to stay inside.
*For this recipe I also use the oven to finish the ribs up, but it is completely up to you.
- Ribs (half or full rack)
- Dry Seasoning
- BBQ Sauce
- Season ribs with dry rub
- Add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot
- Curl ribs around the instant pot on the cooking rack with the meat side facing out.
- Cook them on high pressure (Baby Back ribs: 25-30 minutes, Spare Ribs 30-35 minutes)
- Once the timer has gone off, quick release the pressure
- Take ribs out of the instant pot and lay them on a cooking sheet with foil
- Rub BBQ sauce on ribs
- Place in oven set at 450o for 10 minutes
- Take out of oven and cut ribs
Chicken Noodle Soup
Who doesn’t love some good Chicken Noodle Soup?! Perfect for that cold winter day, or when you’re feeling a little under the weather. http://bit.ly/2uxxnDf
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 large chicken breasts (boneless & skinless)
- 1 cup carrots (sliced)
- 1 cup celery (sliced)
- 6 cups chicken stock or broth
- 4 oz. egg noodles
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Turn the Instant Pot on to sauté. Cook onion in olive oil until soft.
- Add remaining ingredients except noodles. Select “Soup” or “Manual” high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Quick release pressure. Remove chicken breasts and shred with a fork.
- Turn Instant Pot onto sauté. Once the broth begins to boil, add egg noodles and allow to simmer for 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and season with salt and pepper
Garlic Parmesan Chicken and Rice
This delicious melt in your mouth recipe is perfect for any day of the year! https://spicysouthernkitchen.com/
- 1.5 lbs. chicken breasts (boneless & skinless)
- 1 (10.5 oz.) can Cream of Chicken Condensed soup
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ cup onion
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp parsley
- 2 cups rice (long grain)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ½ cup cheddar cheese
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1.5 cups heavy cream
- 1.5 cups parmesan
- 2.5 cups water
- Cut chicken into strips
- Turn Instant Pot to “sauté”. Add butter. When melted, add chicken and onion. Cook until most of the pink in the chicken is gone.
- Add water, heavy cream, and chicken soup. Stir.
- Add rice (sprinkle so it is evenly distributed). Add garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Do NOT stir.
- Place lid on and let it cook on HIGH for 5 minutes.
- Manually release pressure.
- Remove the lid and stir in cream cheese, parmesan, cheddar, and parsley.
- Place lid back on for a few minutes to melt the cheese.
- Remove lid, stir, and serve.